The spring issue of The Musician is being dispatched to all Musicians’ Union members this week and this particular distribution will also include the latest edition of the award-winning MU Members’ Handbook 2018 – 2019.
The magazine will also be available via the MU website courtesy of our ‘page-turning’ ISSUU facility, plus audio files are being prepared to distribute the content in suitable format for visually impaired members. These files will be loaded on our website and Soundcloud channel in due course.
In line with members’ requests, The Musician will be available as a large print file in 24 point for downloading from our website, plus the Handbook will also be available from the website for logged-in members.
The contents of the magazine include:
- Scottish government backs the Agent of Change
- BBC survey highlights cuts to arts subjects in schools
- MU General Secretary Horace Trubridge
- Assistant General Secretary Naomi Pohl
- Victory as government backs Agent of Change bill in England
- What the Live Music Census means for musicians in the UK
- Report on the MU Orchestra Conference in Manchester
- The challenges and benefits of being a Musical Director
- Images of jazz icons by photographer Val Wilmer
- Abbey Road Studios rebrands with a range of new initiatives
- Why I joined the MU
- Focus on the rich music scene of the Highlands & Islands
- How the MU Benevolent Fund can be a lifeline for members
- Tweets from MU members
- Kate Stables of This Is The Kit: alt-folk band in the ascendant
- Glen Matlock: from Sex Pistol to well-established solo artist
- Cherise Adams-Burnett: cover star
- Key contacts
- Ask Us First
- CDs and downloads
- Member benefits
I wish to acknowledge all the writers who contribute to our publications, principally The Musician, and thank them for all their efforts on behalf of the editorial team. This particular issue of the magazine bas benefited from features by the following:
- Andrew Stewart writes for The Times, The Guardian, Classical Music and BBC Music Magazine, among others. He is also the Director of Southwark Voices.
- Rob Adams writes about jazz and folk music for the The Herald newspaper in Scotland and has also written for The Times, Jazzwise and Songlines magazines.
- Katie Nicholls is a freelance journalist and editor whose features and reviews have appeared in titles such as Mojo, The Guardian and Kerrang!
- Neil Churchman is a widely- experienced journalist in broadcasting and print. A former BBC national newsroom assistant editor, he now writes on music and the media.
- Henry Yates is freelance writer from Gloucestershire who has written publications as diverse as Classic Rock, Total Guitar, NME and Record Collector.
- Jo Caird is a freelance writer and editor, covering the British and international culture scene for publications such as The Guardian and The Economist.
- Mark Blake writes for Q, Mojo and Planet Rock magazine. His official biography of Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant is published this summer.
- Will Simpson has contributed to a range of music magazines, including Total Guitar, Guitarist and Mixmag. Will has also published the book, Freedom Through Football.